Women walking hours to the next water hole.
Our mission is to offer partnership to disadvantaged communities to improve their social and economic standards by facilitating the provision of safe water, hygienic sanitation, management of sustainable environment and promotion of income generating initiatives.
- Gender equality and women empowerment
- Sustainable management of resources
- Competency and excellence
- Water and sanitation
- Hygiene education & promotion
- Community capacity building
- Environmental management
- Income generating activities
- To increase access to safe and adequate water for communities.
- To enhance access to appropriate sanitation.
- To improve the hygiene practices of the communities through hygiene education/promotion.
- To facilitate gender equity in project formulation, decision making and management of facilities and services.
- To build the capacity of communities to manage their water and sanitation facilities.
- To enhance the socio economic status of the communities through promotion of income generating activities.
- To promote the sustainable management of the environment.
- To promote the collaboration and partnership with other stakeholders in the water and sanitation sector.
- To mobilise resources and ensure effective and efficient programmes and service delivery.
A shallow well in Lower Tana River area
facilitated by KWAHO
KWAHO advocates the crucial role women play in water supply. Since women
are traditionally responsible for collecting water and therefore have
got a special interest in a well-sustained scheme KWAHO promotes the participation
of women. They are asked to form women groups, which then become the future
operators of the water supply systems.
It has been realized that also mentioned that the first step towards a productive water supply system is to incorporate women in key adreas for water at all levels of project initiation, planning and decission making.